The mysterious story from the environment of the French legions is one of the pinnacles of Claire Denis and Agnès Godard’s production. This free adaptation of Herman Melville’s final novel Billy Bud, Sailor, centres around Galoup (Denis Lavant), who is tasked to train a troop of young soldiers. However, he is sure one of them shouldn’t be there. The story is fragmented, the training in the desert almost dreamlike and the film has a tinge of ancient tragedy. Denis and Godard are turning the “traditional” view of a military unit around, the most prominent evidence of which is the shots of training. A female gaze at a male body.
- 90 min.
- Claire Denis
- Claire Denis, Jean-Pol Fargeau
- Dir. of Photography:
- Agnès Godard
- Charles Henri de Pierrefeu, Eran Zur
- Nelly Quettier
- Denis Lavant, Michel Subor, Grégoire Colin
- La Sept-Arte, S.M. Films, Tanaïs Productions
- Lagardère Studios / Francúzsky inštitút na Slovensku
- Venice 1999, Toronto 1999, Thessaloniki 1999, Sundance 2000, Berlinale 2000 (Reader Jury of the "Berliner Zeitung" - Special Mention), Rotterdam 2001 (KNF Award - Special Mention), César Best Cinematography 2001, New Horizons Wroclaw 2016
About the Director:
(1946, Paris, France) is currently one of the most appraised European authors. She won the Golden Leopard (Nenette and Boni, 1996) in Locarno and many more awards from Cannes (Let the Sunshine In, 2017), Berlin, Rotterdam (both for Beau travail) or San Sebastian (High Life, 2018). She spent her childhood in the colonized West Africa and regularly addresses the French colonial past, issues of identity and deracination in her work.