Born in Pedreirados Húngaros, a slum on the outskirts of Lisbon, Karlon is the pioneer of creole rap on the run from the housing project to which he has been relocated. He spends sleepless nights in sweltering tropical heat. Among the sugar canes, a rumour arises but Karlon doesn’t stop singing. The film is a probing and imaginative exploration of Karlon’s memories, the institutional siege, and the submerged stories from dark times.
High Cities of Bone
Altas Cidades de Ossadas
- João Salaviza
- João Salaviza, Renée Nader Messora, Carlos Furtado “Karlon Krioulo
- Dir. of Photography:
- Vasco Viana
- João Salaviza, Edgar Feldman
- Carlos Furtado “Karlon Krioulo”, Manuel Cabral “Xama”, Maria do Céu Magalhães, Leonor Ferreira
- Terratreme Filmes
- AGÊNCIA – Portuguese Short Film Agency
- Berlinale 2017, Tampere 2017
12.11.2017 18:15 Kino Lumière (K2) (part of Shorts Competition 3)
About the Director:
João Salaviza (1984, Lisbon, Portugal). His feature debut, Mountain (2015), had its world premiere at the Critics’ Week of the Venice IFF, coming on the heels of a trilogy of internationally award-winning short films: Arena (Palme d’Or in Cannes, 2009), Rafa (Golden Bear in Berlin, 2012), and Cerro Negro (Best Director Award at IndieLisboa, 2012).