At a police station, the 14-year-old Mára is being interrogated. The boy was caught at the steering wheel hundreds of miles away from his home. Together with his friend, 12-year-old Heduš, they had embarked on an adventurous road trip. They enchant a young girl hitchhiker and enjoy freedom, but only until the police catch them. However, the interrogators are starting to suspect that Mára might just be making things up. Winter Flies is a teenage comedy for a festival audience, a story of two outsiders, coming of age and ties of friendship.
- 85 min.
- Czech Republic, Slovenia, Poland, Slovakia
- Olmo Omerzu
- Petr Pýcha
- Dir. of Photography:
- Lukáš Milota
- Šimon Holý, Monika Midriaková, Paweł Szamburski
- Jana Vlčková
- Tomáš Mrvík, Jan František Uher, Eliška Křenková, Lenka Vlasáková, Martin Pechlát
- endorfilm, Česká televize, Cvinger film, Koskino, Punkchart films
- Cercamon / Filmtopia
- Karlovy Vary 2018 (Best director award and Commendation of the Ecumenical Jury), CPH PIX 2018, Toronto 2018, CinEast Luxembourg 2018 (Special Prize of the Jury)
About the Director:
At the age of thirteen, Olmo Omerzu (1984, Ljubljana, Slovenia) directed his first short feature film, Almir (1998), which was produced by RTV Slovenia. In 2004 he enrolled at the FAMU film academy in Prague and graduated with his first feature-length film, A Night Too Young (Příliš mladá noc, 2012), which premiered as part of the Forum section at Berlinale. His second feature, Family Film (Rodinný film, 2015), had its premiere at San Sebastian Film Festival. Winter Flies got a Best Director Award at Karlovy Vary International Film Festival